If you’re a body builder, you know how important protein is if you want to be healthy and gain muscle mass. The best way you can get that extra protein is a supplement to gain weight fast. Unfortunately, not all weight gainers have the same ingredients or are made the same.
- Whole Foods or Protein Powder – While protein powder can help you lose weight (or pack it on), your body still needs the natural protein, minerals, and vitamins that will only come from whole foods.
- Types of Proteins – Depending on your needs, you may want to choose a protein type that is more in line with what you need. The most common forms of protein are whey and soy. However other types include egg protein, milk protein, rice protein, pea protein, hemp protein.
- Match the Protein Powder for Your Needs – Depending on your specific needs, you’ll want to make sure you choose the best mass gainer protein. You should look for a protein powder that has whey proteins and whey isolates so that you get the very most out of the powder.
- Get the Most Out of Your Powder – Ideally, you will choose a powder that will either help you recover after a workout or one that will help you control your weight. If you are going to use this to replace a meal, you should try to get at least three ounces of protein per meal to receive the full benefits.
Possible Side Effects Of Mass Gainers
As much as we want to believe that using any of the best weight gain supplements on the market, we won’t run into any negative side effects. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case. While yes, weight gainers are safe to use, since they are made up of two major ingredients, a protein, and carb, too much of these macronutrients can be unhealthy.
Here is a look at some of the negative side effects related to the use of mass gainers:
Naturally, if you’re using a weight gainer, you should expect to see the numbers on the scale increase. However, you can put on some fat, too. Instead of avoiding mass gainers all together, be selective of which product you use and read the label. Stay away from gainers that have a high carb content and opt for one that is more protein based.
Feeling Bloated Or Having An Upset Stomach
Folks who use large amounts of these protein powders and weight gainers in their diets are going to experience a gastrointestinal upset. These upsets can range from feeling bloated and having gas, or even experiencing diarrhea and uncomfortable cramping in the abdomen.
Mass gainers aren’t the best thing for diabetics because the powders are carb rich, meaning that your body may not be able to handle the carb overload. If you are diabetic and want to use a weight gainer, we recommend that you consult your doctor before going through with any one product.
With that said, we feel that the by checking out the mass gainer reviews below, you may be able to choose the right product that will help you bulk up and increase your body’s mass.
Best Weight Gain Supplements On The Market
*Notice: On mobile devices, scroll right to see entire table
Optimum Nutrition Mass Gainer Protein Powder
When you’re trying to find a supplement to gain weight, you’re going to want to find a product that will supplement the calories that you can’t get from eating alone. Many people who want to be bigger experience high metabolisms, a weak appetite, or have a lifestyle that makes it challenging to get the necessary amount of calories it takes to gain mass. That is where Optimum Nutrition Mass Gainer comes in. In every serving of powder.
Notable features of this product include:
- High-Calorie Weight Gainer: 1,250 Calories per 2-Scoop Serving
- 50 Grams of Protein per Serving
- Over 250 Grams of Carbohydrates per Serving
- 25 Vitamins & Minerals Plus Creatine & Glutamine
- Using an Electric Blender to Add Fresh or Frozen Fruits, Peanut Butter, Nuts & Other Calorie Dense Foods to Boost Your Weight Gain Potential
NOW Foods Carbo Gain
NOW Foods Carbo Gain is a product that is pure, 100% maltodextrin that has been derived from corn. It offers a high and extended insulin response, making it a perfect supplement to use close to when you plan on training so that muscle glycogen can be replenished, but also so it can help your body absorb essential nutrients like protein, BCAAs, EAAs, Creatine, and more. This product helps you not only in muscle recovery, but it can help increase your size and strength gains.
If you intend on using this as a weight gainer, you should be aware that you may feel hungrier than usual, which may cause you to crave unhealthy food. Instead, it’s recommended that you have a whole-food meal planned after your workout, so you don’t reach for the bad-for-you foods. Notable features of this product include:
- Complex Carbohydrate
- No Artificial Sweeteners
- No Aspartame
- No Sucralose
- No Acesulfame-K
- GMP Quality Assured
Nature's Best Isopure Mass
One of the easiest ways to get extra calories is to drink it! When you drink this weight gain supplement, you are going to get 600 calories and 53 grams of 100% pure whey protein isolate. If you’ve got intolerance for lactose or gluten, you can still use this product and still experience the mass gainer benefits that you’re looking for without sacrificing flavor.
The Dutch Chocolate flavor is just sweet enough to be delicious, but it isn’t going to be too thick which could leave you feeling bloated. When you use this product, you’ll be receiving 4.9 grams of L-Glutamine and 11.5 grams of BCAAs per serving. Notable features of this product includes:
- Lactose and gluten free
- 100% WPI
- 86g Carbs
- 600 Calories
- 53g Protein
Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein
If you’re a vegetarian or vegan and want to avoid using a weight gain supplement that uses animal based proteins, then this may be the best weight gain supplement for you. The Plant protein you’ll find in this product is pea, rice, hemp with chia seeds.
These energy-boosting proteins aren’t only enjoyed by vegetarians, but everyone can enjoy it! What’s nice about this product is that you can subscribe to it on Amazon and get a 5% discount—awesome! Notable features of this product include:
- Easy-to-digest, energy-boosting protein
- Rich in omega 3-6-9 essential fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- A balanced, complete source of vegan protein
- Does not contain any artificial ingredients or preservatives
BSN True Mass Vanilla Ice Cream
True Mass is among one of the best mass gainer supplements because it features a unique carbohydrate blend that gives your body the caloric support it needs after an intense workout. It helps your body recover after the intense training, but the healthy fat supply gives your body the quick-burning fuel that will keep you full of energy that will last the entire workout.
Also, when you make a shake with this powder, you can combine it with water, milk, or any other liquid that has a complimentary flavor profile. Also, it won’t be overly sweet, and it won’t leave you feeling bloated. Notable features of this product include:
- Lean weight gainer with 6 premium protein sources
- Over 45 grams of protein per Serving; No soy protein
- 90g Carbs, 10g BCAA, 5g Fiber per Serving
- Ideal for recovery - over 700 calories per serving
- Produces rich, creamy shakes; No chalky weight gainer taste and texture
Before you decide which of the best weight gain supplements you want to incorporate into your diet, you should consider the different protein types and what your desired goals are. Also, it is important that by choosing a weight gainer, you understand that if you aren’t burning all those extra calories, it will turn into fat and not the muscle mass you’re hoping for.
However, after you’ve considered this and you’re ready to make a decision, we feel that any of these products would be an excellent option. If you’re a vegan and have a hard time gaining weight, you could definitely benefit from choosing the Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein, as there aren’t any animal based ingredients.
Whatever your choice may be, we recommend that you consult with your doctor before including a weight gainer. With your doctor’s guidance, you’ll be able to gain the weight and muscle you’re looking for in a healthy manner.