Meal prep bags and portion control containers are great for making food at home, planning your daily meals and ensuring the optimal nutrient intake (without succumbing to those cravings)! The market features dozens of meal prep bags and though you may think that they’re all the same, some significant differences exist.
If you’re about to purchase and use meal prep bags for the first time, you’ll find the following guide particularly useful.
Isobag by Isolator Fitness
Customer reviews and expert examination rank Isobag by Isolator Fitness as one of the best products in the respective range. The product is made in the US and the construction is solid. It maintains food cold throughout the day and it also features a bit more space than some of the other popular products on the market.
Isobag has a couple of additional cool characteristics worth mentioning:
- Two insulated side pockets and two mesh side pockets that can hold additional beverages or snacks
- Six leak-resistant containers included in the kit
- Two reusable ice packs that can maintain the coolness of food in the isolated meal prep bag for up to 12 hours
- Padded shoulder strap for added comfort
- A top storage compartment that’s ideal for the placement of a protein bar or another energy snack
Innovator Insulated Meal Management Bag by 6 Pack Fitness
A close runner up, Innovator Insulator Meal Management Bag is ideal for storing a day’s worth of food, beverages, snacks and supplements. This means that the bag has a sufficient amount of space inside.
It’s a fully-insulated product that will maintain all ingredients cool and fresh throughout the day. The freezer gel packs incorporated in the design maintain the ideal food preservation temperature for up to eight hours.
The most prominent characteristics of the 6 Pack Fitness meal prep bag include the following:
- Two sizes to choose among (that can hold either three or five meals)
- Provided with either three or five leak-proof and microwave-safe food storage containers
- One sports nutrition container for supplements is also available
- Insulated side pockets can fit up to two water bottles
- A top zippered compartment that can hold protein bars
- A padded shoulder strap for added comfort
Fitmark the Meal Management Box
Anyone looking for a more compact meal prep bag will be happy with Fitmark the Meal Management Box. Made from ballistic nylon, this bag is very lightweight and tough at the same time. It’s ideal for storing meals, snacks, beverages and even supplements.
Some of the bag’s key characteristics include:
- Enough space to fit four portion control containers
- An additional compartment that can hold one water bottle
- Ice packs that maintain the food at the optimal temperature for numerous hours (up to eight hours)
- Two containers and two ice packs are provided with the bag
- There’s also a SmartShake bottle with a 20-ounce capacity
The Jaxx FitPak with its portion control container set features a minimalist design that busy individuals that have to do serious commuting are going to appreciate. Apart from the meal prep containers provided with the bag, the set also has the patented Jaxx shaker cup for supplements or shakes. All of the components are made from BPA-free plastic, making the set effective and safe.
Here are some of the key characteristics that determine the quality of the meal prep bag:
- The set consists of four two-cup containers and two one-cup container that are both dishwasher and microwave-safe
- There’s a separate vitamin pocket with five compartments for vitamins and other supplements
- A pill case is also provided with the meal prep bag
- A non-toxic ice pack is also provided with the meal prep bag, keeping the food cold for numerous hours
- There’s an interior mesh pocket that can hold small snacks and energy bars
Choosing the right meal prep bag is all about your individual needs and budget. Decide whether you want to get a product that features portion control containers. If you already own quality portion control containers, you’ll simply need to get a bag (it’s going to be more affordable sans the plastic containers).
This about the best size, as well. It will depend on the number of meals that you’re going to carry with you, as well as on your desire to have a bottle and a compartment for supplements.